Rigging . Consultation . Education . Tools
Point Hudson Harbor, Port Townsend
To blend the ageless wisdom of traditional rigging with the materials and applications of modern day.
We work with our clients to provide rigging services of the highest standard and specialize in preparing vessels and their owners for extended cruising and offshore voyages. photo by Wayne Rice
In addition to writing books, making videos, and selling useful rigging tools, we run a Full-Service Rigging Loft in PortTownsend.
We provide both modern and traditional rigging of the highest quality.
$ 325 - 425 * Single-mast -LOA under 40 ft.
$ 425 - 525 * Double-mast -LOA under 40 ft.
Boats over 40’ are charged by the hour over the two hours allotted for survey.
- Assessment of your boat's current rigging systems - including aloft *, running rigging, standing rigging, masts, mast head, mast step, spreaders, stays, sheets, travelers, reefing, furling, chainplates... your rigging system.
- In depth examination of shrouds and metal hardware, targeting metal fatigue, crevice corrosion, galvanic corrosion, and quality of metallurgy.
- A written report and free review of our findings along with recommendations.
- Once the survey is complete, post-survey consultations, billed by the hour, are available for clients who require an even deeper level of information.
- The onboard portion of a survey can be accomplished in two hours. Additional time billed at shop rates, per rigger, per hour – by 1/4 hour.
- Owner need not be present for survey.
*All of our surveys include a trip to the masthead. This, along with our expertise and detailed written reports, sets us apart from many “surveyors”.
Rigging: $85 per hour per rigger
Consultation: $120 per hour (1/2 hour minimum)
- We prefer to make an appointment with you.
- But, we are always willing to confer & charge for walk-in questions and consultation... time allowing.
Rig Tune: $120 per hour ...usually 2 hours - i.e. one mast - 30'
Optimal Rope-to-Chain Splice $ 90
Sta-Set-X, Brait, Mega-Braid $ 45
Double -Braid, Core-to-Core Splice $ 45
3 -strand or Brummel Splice $ 25
Emergency splice $ 90
We prefer not to splice used rope - for many reasons. So if we agree to work on your used rope - we will ask you to first wash it with soap flakes. Put the coiled gasket of rope (see instructions in the Rigger's Apprentice) in the washing machine on gentle cycle. rinse well, and add fabric softener. Then undo the coil and loop it around the garage to dry in the air or take it outside and do the same. Now your rope will be soft and much nicer to handle.
Travel: $65 per hour per rigger + mileage +fuel / ferry expenses
Washington State law regarding overtime labor
applies to all our jobs.
Photos of Rigging Projects:
Falls of Clyde project - Downrigging a 4 mast ship
About Us - Staff Information