SparTalk
EDUCATION CATALOG RIGGING CONSULTATION HOME CONTACT US

Go Back   SparTalk > SparTalk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM

I think it sounds like you want to get a eye splice with only one end availble? If you are using 12 strand spectra you can always do a tucked splice vs buried or a mobius brummel but it would require a shackle. A tucked splice is just as strong as a buried one and can look quite nice if you take your time. There are instructions on several web sites.

Jake
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Default lock-stitch

It is also entirely possible to neglect the brummel entirely and simply lock-stitch the splice. Lock stitching serves the same function as the brummel, and if done neatly, doesn't look horrible. I serviced over some of my lockstitched splices with St. Mary's hitching. Time consuming, but tidy, secure and handsome to look at.
Ben
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Yes, but...

Hi again,
Stitching is tricky; I have heard (and will now need to dig up documentation) that stitching sufficient to provide Brummel-like initial security is likely to distort the rope, lowering ultimate strength. Be careful.
St. Mary's Hitching is indeed lovely, and if sufficiently drawn up would function much like the cover on double-braid, working better than stitches, without weakening the rope. Plain old service can work here, too.
Fair leads,
Brion Toss
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 AM

Brion,

The recomendation is a pretty loose lock stitch (with three full stitches a side). I haven't destruction testing them, but I have made the first pass through the side of the bury at the eye, and going down two braids per stitch. So far I haven't had one start to pull, though I am just now starting to put them into regular service, so I will report back when I see any results.

Personally I just am not happy with my brummel splices since they always seem to be made too loose and start to separate pretty early on, though I have considered stitching them as well. It just seems a bit of over kill.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM

Hi Brion,
Did your post suggest that lock-stitching would not be necessary for double-braid HM (core dependent) rope? Or that a tight service would remove the need for lockstitching? It would be lovely to not have to lockstitch....

Last edited by benz : 04-21-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Better choice of words
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Brion,

The recomendation is a pretty loose lock stitch (with three full stitches a side). I haven't destruction testing them, but I have made the first pass through the side of the bury at the eye, and going down two braids per stitch. So far I haven't had one start to pull, though I am just now starting to put them into regular service, so I will report back when I see any results.

Personally I just am not happy with my brummel splices since they always seem to be made too loose and start to separate pretty early on, though I have considered stitching them as well. It just seems a bit of over kill.
I have destruction tested a line with a brummel eye in one end and a lock stitch eye in the other. The line broke in the middle, away from either eye. I use which either one I feel like using at the moment knowing either are stronger than the rope.

I spliced up a bridal today and used brummels and luggage tag hitches on the ends. It was not possible on the last end so I did a lock stitch, pre-threading the luggage tag hitch before doing the bury and stitch.

Personally I prefer the lock stitch but in some cases the brummel is easier to do.

Allen
L-36.com
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I can't tell you how they made theirs, but this is how I would have made mine had hardware instead of lashings.

Using amsteel blue
1) tapered bury splice with lock stitching both ends of the life lines.

2) luggage tag one end around the bow pulpit. I did it around the bow pulpit tubing, not the stainless rod by the way.

3) run the lifelines

4) luggage tag the other end onto a stainless eye bolt

5) thread the eye bolt onto a Johnson snap gate hook

On the non-gate hook side of the lifeline, the last splice is made over a sailmakers thimble that the gate hook attaches too.

Personally I just found that eliminating hardware was too seductive when faced with the option, and it really drove the price down too.

Alternatively you can use a McDonaly method brummel splice, that only requires one end of the line. See instructions at http://L-36.com/brummel2.php
Thank you for this it sounds like what my boyfriend was looking for so i've printed out the insurance for rented properties and will see when he gets home

Last edited by Lucy : 05-16-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Wha?

Quote:
Brion,
Whoa,
You are stitching because you aren't happy with your Brummels? They separate? Are we talking about the same structure?
Brion
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM

I am sure it is me, not the splice, but I have a hard time keeping the eye tight over a thimble. Which is why I have switched pretty much exclusively to lock stitching. For me it just seems easier.