SparTalk
EDUCATION CATALOG RIGGING CONSULTATION HOME CONTACT US

Go Back   SparTalk > SparTalk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Default Splice question

Hello,

I used synthetic 11mm 12 strand line for my lower shrouds. They are brummel splices around the mast. I was unable to pre-load the splices. Is there a approximate set amount for a given line diameter for a brummel splice? I will most likely use a brummel for the lower splice as well and plan to make the eyes short with a shackel to the turnbuckle to allow for growth as the splices set.

Thanks

Jake
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Hi Jake,

Before you deal with the issue of splices "setting in", you'll have to figure out how much the line shrinks from being spliced. Since the diameter of the rope is increased for the length of the bury, the line becomes accordingly shorter. On my 3/8 Vectran, the line seemed to lose about 6 inches per splice (72 diameter tapered splice, not Brummelled). Constructional stretch (once installed) seems to be about 2".
John Franta from Colligo Marina has, I believe, worked out these values for the DUX he sells. It might be worth contacting him about it.
Best,
Ben
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Hello Ben

I have been doing some trial and error and it looks like 5 in plus or minus with a 800 mm bury. I am really not liking how the Brummell splice is turning out though. I think I will do a tucked splice instead for the same length seems like I can get everything to lay in a lot nicer. Is this the same approach you used? The splic I'm referring to is the one we always use at work you take half the strands through the core and tuck them in pairs alternating strands up one row of the braid. The only difference being a much long taper on these ones

Jake
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Hi Jake,

I've done a tuck-bury on Spectra, but I didn't like it so well as just a plain long bury. The plain bury is just neater, since there's no ends sticking out all over. I lock-stitch per the manufacturer's directions, and I make sure to do it kind of loosely with stretchier stuff, so the splice has less chance of being distorted. All my latest shroud splices I've serviced over the lock-stitched portion with St Mary's hitching, and turk's heads aloft and alow. It might look over the top, but we'll see when I get the stick up.
NE Ropes likes the full-bury splice better than a tuck-bury, probably for the same purposes of neatness.
Ben
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Well 2 down 4 to go

number 1 was trial and error

number 2 went better, the eyes are all over sized for a larger radius solid thimble, I will most likely serve up over the splice for chafe protection as well.

I did a little expiermenting normally on the work splice if there is any taper it is only running the paired strands up staggered 6 or seven strands, also only about 8 tucks max. These are obviously many more tucks and I also brought the paired strands up to the normal stagger for the start of the taper then opened up the individual strand and seperated about half out, I cut off half of each ind strand in the pair then continued on up which gave a really nice taper to the splice.

Jake

Last edited by SV Papillon : 04-24-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM

This is a normal tucked splices that we use at work.

The temp boomkin bobstay or whatever it is called

The eyes on the shrouds will also get seized around the thimbles

Jake
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Heat shrink as chafe protection

Hello,

On my lower shrouds they want to lay in by the spreader fittings. Right now this area is part of the splice and loosely covered in stitched leather. Once the Brummell splices set in I would like a more robust chafe guard in this area. I was thinking of using black heat shrink, I have seen it used on other line services but have no expieriance using it for this myself. It would be about a foot and would be covering part of the buried section of the Brummell splice. Any thoughts?

Jake